AUDITIONS FOR OPERA SINGERS – Pocahontas- Woman of Two Worlds
IMPORTANT NOTE: The company is actively seeking *Native American singers when possible for specific leading and supporting roles denoted below.
Production Timeline Production rehearsals will begin around September 8, 2011 with performances on September 22, 25, 29, 30 and Oct. 1.
Roles and Voice Types Open for Casting
*Pocahontas Lyric soprano (high C); age range 25-35
*Young Pocahontas Lyric-coloratura soprano (high C); age range 18-30
(must be petite and appear child-like)
John Smith Lyric tenor (high A); age range 30-40
John Rolfe Baritone (high G); age 30-40
*Powatan Bass-baritone (high F); age range 35-50
*Uttamatomakin Baritone (high F#); age range 30-50
*Pocahontas’ Mother Mezzo-soprano (high A); age range 35-50
Lady Sizemore Mezzo or Soprano (high F); age range 25-35
- Please be prepared to sing three contrasting arias, including at least one selection in English.
- Please prepare a one-minute dramatic monologue from any theatre piece.
- Please bring a copy of your resume and headshot with you.
Accompanist An experienced pianist will be available for a nominal fee or you may bring your own accompanist. The pianist’s fees are $25 inMinneapolisor $15 inDuluth.
Regional Audition Dates and Locations
IN DULUTH Friday, May 20 from 4-8 pm at the Duluth Congregational Church, 2833 E. Superior Street, Duluth, MN 55812.
IN MINNEAPOLIS Friday, June 3 from 4-7 pm at First Unitarian Society ofMinneapolis, 900 Mount Curve Ave.,Minneapolis,MN55403.
How to Apply for an Audition
- Email your bio, resume, recent recording (mp3 or video files) and headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10 for Duluth and May 15 for Minneapolis.
- Or mail hard copies of these materials to the DFO,222 E. Superior Street, Suite 320,Duluth,MN55802 by the dates shown above.
- Pay a $15.00 audition processing fee online at www.dfopera.org by clicking the DONATE button and using Pay Pal or a credit card, or send your check to Attention: Auditions at DFO, 222 E. Superior Street, Suite 320, Duluth, MN 55802.
- In your materials, please include:
- Your complete contact information, including phone and email.
- Which audition date/location you prefer.
- Which role(s) you are interested in.
- If you wish to use our staff pianists, we will provide their contact information to you.
- After reviewing your materials, you will be contacted by email for an audition time if you are selected for a live audition.
- Singers will be selected for a live audition based on the quality of their résumé and recordings.
- New York-based, managed singers may qualify for casting without a live audition inMinneapolis.
- For logistical questions, please email Tina at email@example.com or call her at 218-428-6845.